Today I have added MultiControl to my GitHub account. Inititally, I did not intend to release the source code for MultiControl, because it is so old and dirty. The whole patch is based on bpatchers and trying to hide things away in the pre-Max5-days, when presentation view did not exist.
I originally developed the Max patch back in 2004, mainly so that I could distribute a standalone application for my students to use. I have only incrementally updated it to work with newer versions of Max and OSX, but have never really given it a full brush-over.
The reason why I decided to release the code now is because I get so many questions about the program. Even though there are several other good alternatives out there, a lot of people download the application each month, and I get lots of positive feedback from happy users. I also get information about bugs, and occasionally also some feature requests. While I do not really have time to update the patch myself, hopefully someone else might pick it up and improve it.
If you did not understand anything about the above, here is a little screencast showcasing some of the functionality of MultiControl:
MultiControl is by far the most popular software application I have created, as can be seen in the web traffic here on my site, and also on the download site at the University of Oslo where the app resides. This is a tiny application that passes on data from a human interface device (mouse, game controller) through either OSC or MIDI. When I first created it back in 2004, there were not so many other options. Today, however, users would typically find more features in an application like Osculator or Steim’s Junxion. Still, MultiControl is downloaded hundreds of times per month, which should indicate that some people think it is interesting and useful.
Unfortunately, I do not have much time for development these days, so I will probably never get around to implement all the cool and exciting features I once wished for in MultiControl. But since it is my most popular application, I feel bad about also abandoning the whole thing. So I will try to keep it updated for the latest operating systems.
I just made a fresh build of the application using the latest version of Max. It works fine here on my Mountain Lion system, and I would imagine that it should also work on Lion (but perhaps not previous versions). Since I have received some feedback about problems with opening zip-files, I have now created a dmg-file instead. To avoid problems with broken links in the future, I will just point to the folder in which the latest version can be found.
Have fun, and let me know if you experience any problems.