I am working on the theory chapter of my dissertation, and am trying to pin down some terminology. For a long time I have been using the concept of gesture-sound relationships to denote the intimate links between a physical movement and the resultant sound. However, since I am throwing away gesture for now, I also need to reconsider the rest of my vocabulary.

Hodgins (2004) uses the term music-movement structural correspondences, which I find problematic since it places music first. The sound-producing movement always comes before the sound, so it is better to place it first. So I will start using movement-sound couplings to talk about such relationships until something better pops up.